Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Mix It Up!

                                                                                                    Every year when the book fair comes to our school in spring and fall, I make sure to find some books that would be great additions to my classroom and curriculum.  I set them aside, and families who come into the book fair see them labeled as art room wish list books.  Well this year, I got a GREAT addition to the art room (SHOUT OUT to Anastasia and Nora whose family purchased the book for us!)  the book is entitled "Mix It Up".  I'd heard wonderful things about using this book to teach color theory, and people were right!!  Check out the projects first, second, and Pre-K 3/4's did through inspiration from this book! 

I'll admit there was a good amount of prep work to this project but the first and second grade LOVED it!  Above you can see I cut news paper into individual sheets, and gave students a 6x9 inch piece of paper.  On their tables they had markers to write their names and tape along the edge by their seat (5 pieces varying in length) for them to randomly place on their paper.  There was one cup of each primary color and white with Q-tips in them and some extra Q-tips on the tray for "Mixing it up" as we called it.  The Solucryl paint I use is AMAZING!  The colors are SO vibrant and beautiful!  Check out our results!

Pre-K 3/4 students also had the chance to dive into the story "Mix It Up" and loved using this kind of paint for the first time in the art room this year!  A surprise I discovered was with this kind of paint, they are SILENT while they are working!  Really the only thing I heard all class was the names of the colors they were making!  Check out some of their work!



No comments:

Post a Comment