Thursday, May 2, 2013

"Scribbles" that tell a Story


 "Spring and Flowers", Marco, Pre-School, Play Color Sticks


 Have you ever taken the time to sit down and ask a young artist what they're creating? 


Think about it.  

Have you ever looked at "scribbles" as more than just "scribbles"?

Think about that.

Over the past two weeks, I've carefully questioned and observed pre-school and pre-kindergarten students while they create in class. I found, these things we adults call "scribbles" are really never ending and ever changing stories....


   Take a minute to look at the artwork pictured above.  Most adults would pass this off as just a scribble.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The verbal prompt for this piece was a the story "Planting a Rainbow" by Lois Ehlert.  Following the story, I asked the pre-schoolers to draw what they thought the spring flowers would look like this year.  This response by Marco is one I truly enjoy.  Maybe it's because he naturally chose blue and orange which are complimentary colors or maybe it's because he has a strong use of lines and the overlapping of them creates an element of space.  Or maybe, it's because he told me that all the white was the roots, the orange was the leaves, and the blue was the flowers.  Looking at the blue forms he made, I realized, no, this is not your stereotypical flower with a yellow center and perfect circular petals, but this was in fact what made sense in his head as a visual representation of spring flowers. At that moment I realized my objective was met for the day.  Marco was able to take an idea, or memory in his head, visually put it down on paper, and then verbalize that idea in relation to his picture.  

"Crocodile Bird", by Alex, Pre-School, Play Color Sticks
 This piece by Alex will tell you what animal he could have as a pet if he could choose any animal in the world... here's what he said... 

"Um...Over here, it's a bird"
  
"Over here there's a crocodile going to the pond."





"A Fish", by Lucy, Pre-School, Play Color Sticks
 The quote on this one says it all.... 

"I draw my fish in the water but...I don't buy it because my parents tell me I'm not ready to take care of it."


...I told Lucy I hoped she'd get her fish soon...


... She explained she couldn't wait to get it so she could play with it....

(And now the story of her picture makes a lot more sense to me!) 

 
Now let's jump up to Pre-Kindergarten Artwork!  

"My Dog", by Ava, Pre-K, Markers

Students are currently learning about pets of all kinds in their classroom.  I read the students a Bearenstein Bear Book about a pet show.  

I then asked students to either draw their own pet, or a pet they would like to have...
   I have found that in Pre-K alot of the students come out of their shell within the art room. You will notice that drawing skills become more advanced, and many students begin to identify with their artwork by illustrating themselves in their work. They become more adventurous, take risks, and advocate for themselves.  For example, we were supposed to use play color sticks for this project... however I got half smiling faces and half frowning faces about that art supply (some students want more of a fine point marker than the broad, glue stick like color stick).  So what happened?  I decided every artist has a supply they favor, so why not let them work with what they favor so they can be successful?  Students chose markers or color sticks.

"Pegasus", by Caroline, Pre-K, Markers





This piece by Caroline does not even begin to capture the entire story she told me... she spoke much faster than I could write!

"My brother is going for a ride on the pegasus because he really wants to.  He goes up, up, up, and away."

I thought she was finished but then..... 

"Also, that is the arrow to show he is going UP!"







Next time your young artist is "scribbling", take a moment and ask.... 
Can you tell me about this picture?

That one simple question will get you an amazing and creative story!








No comments:

Post a Comment