Wednesday, August 20, 2014

DCPS SUPPORTS ARTS EDUCATION!!!!!

Chancellor Kaya Henderson, Suzanne, Joele, and Director of the Arts, Nathan Diamond


O...M...G...
       (as my students would say...)


Something amazing happened today for art educators throughout District of Columbia Public Schools... I'm still pinching myself to ensure it all wasn't a dream!!




 
         It started out as a normal PD Day for DCPS art teachers, we learned about museum offerings for us and our students, and we heard from AEDC(Art Ed. DC) the National Art Education Association affiliate.  I'm a current board member and worked the past two years with some remarkable women founding, and developing this organization.  I am moving on from my board position, and was asked to say a few words about what it's like to serve on the board, and so on.  So I speak (spur of the moment because I didn't know I was going to be saying anything!) and little did I know, the Chancellor Kaya Henderson had walked(totally unexpected or announced!!) into the room.  Now looking back I'm glad I didn't know because I would have gotten totally flustered and probably would have sounded like a fool!  Anyhow, she came up to speak to the art teachers after AEDC spoke.  She talked about the dedication, and support DCPS has for arts education, she thanked us for all we do to inspire our students, and she ended by commenting on the words she heard about AEDC, and how it helps  us to Advocate, Express, Develop, and Connect as art educators.  She then told us.......

        the district will pay our membership fees, so each art teacher, 
          is a member of AEDC!!!!!!!

I know this may sound small, but this...is... a HUGE step forward for the advancement of art education programs within the district and it amazing to know that just as in the past, and moving forward, the DCPS is devoted to the advancement of arts education across our District!!!

Wondering how YOU can help AEDC assist their members Advocate, Express, Develop, and Connect across the District? Consider joining as an Art Supporter or making a donation!  
Click Here to check out AEDC's website for events and happenings!  

No comments:

Post a Comment