Sunday, May 24, 2015

Palm Pilots, Flip Phones, Keyboards, and Beyond!

   Second grade has been focusing this year on drawing from observation, and in a very realistic way this year.  For our current project, I decided to flip their minds upside down, and have them create an abstract piece of art inspired by Pablo Picasso.  We discussed the way Picasso took an object, person, or place, and mentally took them apart and re-drew/painted them all scrambled up.  We decided to do the same, but with technology! 



I have some awesome parents at my school who donated computers, cell phones(flip phones!), floppy disks, palm pilots, and much more for me to physically take apart so students could draw them in an abstract way.  Now, I like to think 27 is not that old, however I sure felt old trying to explain what a palm pilot, floppy disk, and film camera was. The kids were convinced the palm pilot was a GPS, and the cell phones were never actually functioning but toys like they had as "little kids".  Overall, they found it hilarious to hear me tell about this "big stuff" as they called it, and I'm sure they now think I was alive when there was only black and white tv.... but oh well! 
Check out the progress of our abstract, technology themed projects!
(we are still working on filling in with watercolor pencils!)


No comments:

Post a Comment