Thursday, May 15, 2014

Let's Celebrate....Police Week!

May holds many special celebrations for school buildings.  There are plays, concerts, graduation, art
shows, field trips, and so much more for students.  During May, there is also teacher and nurse appreciation week.  What most people don't know about though, is that the week of May 15th, is also National Police Week.  Every year on May 15th, there is a ceremony held at the United States Capitol to honor and remember the fallen officers from the past year.  I have realized in the past few years, that many times our police and security officers within our school communities work below the radar of the average person, and we don't show the thanks and appreciation that we could. 

 This year, I decided we would celebrate and show our thanks to the wonderful officers of the 3rd district within Washington, DC.  I shared with students that it was police week, and they began rambling off stories of interactions they've had with officers, as well as how much they like to see them.  Students had so many experiences to share.  From a time when there were mean dogs in a child's backyard and the MPD saved the day, to an officer getting the ball out of the street for a student, the stories were precious and endless.  Take a peek!



Police officers of the U.S. Capitol

" One day I was looking for the aquarium with my Mom.  She didn't know where to go so we asked the police officer.  He told us where we should go and said..well blah blah blah... and then we passed Michael Kors.  But we got to the aquarium because he knew where to tell us to go!"
 
It's amazing how much effort and excitement the students put into their work.  I've really never seen my students so excited about creating a piece of art for someone else.  Usually they back out because they want to take their creations home(and who can blame them, they work hard!)

I found our local police district headquarters, and dropped off the cards from Bancroft and the art room.  I didn't leave my name, or e-mail, or phone number but the next day in my inbox, I found an e-mail from the DC MPD officers thanking me for the cards and time.... and they send me this picture of their lobby bulletin board.... 

So, THANK YOU and a huge Bancroft R.O.A.R to all the police officers out there! 

Happy Police Week 2014!

15 comments:

  1. Wow thank you sooo much for thinking of us, this just makes it all worth it. Keep up the good work we love you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a motorman for MPDC and I would like to say thank you to all of you for thinking of me and my fellow brothers and sisters in blue. Keep smiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my old school and i am a mpdc officer and i would like to say thank you all so very much for keeping us in your hearts. Continue to strive and do good in school, because you are our future police officers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Bancroft Alumn, and mpdc officer, we would love to connect with you about visiting the school, and our events... check out the most recent post about our Art Auction Fundraiser THURSDAY MARCH 19, 2015! Please e-mail me at msfoysartroom@gmail.com with any questions!

      Delete
  4. Thats very very nice, hope you carry this into your adult years as well,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for the kind thoughts and words. All of your messages are very much appreciated!!! Keep up your hard work in school - it will definitely pay off. - MPDC Officer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Bancroft students and staff for caring about us. As police officers, we sincerely care about you, your families and our city. Please be respectful to everyone you come in contact with. Thanks again for the great artwork!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I can remember when I was in school and my teacher would have us draw pictures for the officers. I use to save my money, buy and freeze Lemonade Juices in the summer for whenever I saw a policeman. Thereafter, I felt like I wanted to do more to help, so I volunteered and then took a job at the Police Department to do whatever I could to help the Police Officers be less stress in their jobs and was positioned in every district to help. Now, 31ys later, as a Crime Analyst, I look at these pics that remind me of my pics to them as a kid and would now say with intensity, (Thanks soo much) Mr. Police Officer for your hard work too and Thanks Children for appreciating us. We need innocent, honest hearts like yours, who think of us, because It helps us sleep at night. So do well in School and Keep Smiling, so that we can keep smiling too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you very much for your kind words

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Bancroft Students:

    I am a 24 year veteran on the Metropolitan Police Department and a native Washingtonian. Police officers visited my elementary school and walked the streets in my neighborhood when I was a kid. All the kids called them Officer Friendly because they talked and played with us. Sometimes, they would just hang-out in the neighborhood and watch us play kick-ball or dodge-ball in the streets. We did not know their names, but each officer responded to us when we said, "Hi, Officer Friendly." The Metropolitan Police Department had a band called the Side by Side band. The band played at all the DC Public Schools and it was the best assembly during the school year. Officer Friendly encouraged me to do well in school; to listen and obey my mom/dad and teachers.

    So, I'm telling you to do well school, attend college and always listen/obey your parents, teachers and Officer Friendly and you will be successful like me.

    Thank you Ms. Foy and Bancroft Students!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank All of You for thinking of us. It is good to know we are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks You Guys are Appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to all Bancroft students for your beautiful Artwork. All of them brought a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bancroft!!! Thank you for you kind consideration and thoughts. I and my family are former Bancroft students and I still pass by the school while on patrol. I was a fond student of the arts program which helped/started my ART career. with that being said, keep drawing, painting, designing cards, poster and NEVER stop dreaming of a better future. You are our future and the designers of said future. I look forward to seeing more from you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Bancroft Alumn, and mpdc officer, we would love to connect with you about visiting the school, and our events... check out the most recent post about our Art Auction Fundraiser THURSDAY MARCH 19, 2015! Please e-mail me at msfoysartroom@gmail.com with any questions!

      Delete