Sunday, September 29, 2013

Let's Talk About Circles and Feelings!




...Happy...Silly...Goofy...Mad...Sad...
...Angry... Ecstatic...Grumpy...
              ...Surprised...Excited... Disappointed...Anxious... 
       Glad... Confused... Frustrated...


    Last week you got a peek into how I teach my younger students to begin drawing and recognizing circles.  Now, since they have begun to grasp the concept of a circle, we are learning how to turn a circle into a face!  I usually push students a bit farther with this project by reading the story Today I Feel Silly and Other Moods That Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis. While reading the story, I make sure to ask students to watch how my face changes while I read through the book for each emotion the character feels(disclosure: when I read this book to the students, if you were just listening, you would probably call me the crazy moody art teacher... my voice and face goes from happy to sad to mad to glad to excited.... and so on... but the students LOVE it).


After we read the wonderful story, we practice making all of our different faces. I review with students around and close for a circle but show how I can also add eyes, and a nose.   When we get to the mouth, I show students how just by changing the kind of line they use, they can
change the way their face feels!  I think these Pre-K 4's did a SUPER job!  Check out all the varying emotions and feelings shown within their art!


No comments:

Post a Comment